Sunday, July 11, 2010

Making Fish Stock






I always freeze my shrimp shells until I can make stock.

I throw in the shells with whole cloves of garlic, half a carrot, whole black tellicherry pepper corns, half a lemon, and whatever fresh spices I have on hand.

Add water to about 2/3 of the way up the side of the pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about an hour or two. Add more water if too much evaporation occurs.

Strain out the solids and discard. I put them in my compost.

I then freeze or use the stock immediately. It should keep in the fridge for up to a week.

These photos represent views with and without the flash.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Superior Ingredients, Food Your Family Will Love, & Thoughtful Recipes

Bringing recipes to the home cook using locally grown components which are often either home grown or organic ingredients. Gourmet imported products are always wonderful and creative endeavors are attempted to recreate these styles or ingredients from home. Then again, splurges and exceptions will happen every now and again! The bounty is as diverse and full of unlimited possibilities here in California. Food creations only follow. My wish is to share my food obsession with the world.