Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Sunday in March with Crepes and Caviar












My boyfriend is a huge fan of crepes. I should make a book that is titled like "Crepes, 1001 ways".

Anyhoo, these are two of my favorite crepe recipes. Often I do a blend between the two.

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon double acting baking powder
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 eggs
2/3 cup milk (I use canned condensed without diluting it for a sweeter flavor)
1/3 cup water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla or grated lemon zest

Additionally to this recipe I often substitute vanilla sugar I make with a vanilla bean steeping in white cane sugar.

3 large eggs
1 1/2 cups whole milk (see note above)
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour ( 7 1/2 ounces)
2 tablespoons Cognac
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt

With either recipe I like to let the batter sit at room temperature for at least a half hour. It seems to thicken and relax it.

Also, I use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to dispense the batter to the pan.

The pictures above show creme frache with strawberry preserves and lemon zest with demerara sugar. And also creme frache with french wild cranberries.

The caviar board has creme frache with lemon zest, spicy coppa salami, toasted buttermilk bread squares, gherkins, and Irish cheddar.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Superior Ingredients, Food Your Family Will Love, & Thoughtful Recipes

Bringing recipes to the home cook using locally grown components which are often either home grown or organic ingredients. Gourmet imported products are always wonderful and creative endeavors are attempted to recreate these styles or ingredients from home. Then again, splurges and exceptions will happen every now and again! The bounty is as diverse and full of unlimited possibilities here in California. Food creations only follow. My wish is to share my food obsession with the world.